8 Comments so far ↓

1. Kevin says:

I had not heard that. My condolences to the family. I only met him a couple times, but had to marvel at how well he threw at nearly 60 years old. Made you wonder what he was like when he was 30.

2. Bob says:

I saw and even pitched against him in the early to mid-70s, and he was as good as advertised. The drop ball just disappeared below the batter’s bat, and I always thought he had a good raise too. Certainly in a class with DeWall, Elbers, Root and company. And perhaps because of his longevity, the best of all time in the state.

3. Jerry "Chips" Davidsavor says:

My condolences to Leroy’s family, friends and team mates. Leroy was a great pitcher on some very successful teams. The Happy Chef teams rank as among the best ever to come out of Minnesota. Softball has lost one its ambassadors.

4. Cam Lind says:

Rest in peace LeRoy, I will always remember your hiss when you cut one loose. You were tops.

5. robert vollmer says:

JOHNNY VOLLMER WAS THE BEST PITCHER MN EVER HAD. 2000 WINS 85 LOSES 60 NO HITTERS 5 PERFECT GAMES HE ALSO BEAT EDDY FIEGHNER TWICE IN 1959. JOLSTAD MIGHT HAVE BEEN A GOOD PITCHER BUT HE WAS NO JOHNNY VOLLMER THATS FOR SURE. VOLLMER WAS THE BEST IN THE ENTIRE REGION HE WAS BETTER THEN DEWALL ELBERS AND WHOEVER ROOT WAS I WOULD LIKE YOU TO GET YOUR INFORMATION CORRECTED.VOLLMER IN 1938 STRUCKOUT 289 BATTERS A RECORD THAT HAS NEVER BEEN IN DANGER HE AVERAGED 13 STRIKEOUTS PER GAME

6. robert vollmer says:

VOLLMER WAS NUMBER 1 IN MN. THERE IS NO DOUBT ABOUT IT

7. robert vollmer says:

YOU DIDN;T LOOK FOR VOLLMERS PITCH YOU LISTENED FOR IT

8. Bob says:

I’ve heard of Johnny Vollmer, but he was way before my time in fastpitch. By what you’ve stated, I’m sure he was a great pitcher and one of Minnesota’s all-time greatest. It appears you are related. Perhaps Johnny’s son or brother? He’s certainly someone to be proud of. What great accomplishments he had in his illustrious career. Wish I could have seen him pitch. Thank you for furnishing this terrific information.