Late field goal carries Redlands past Summit

Written by Bob on September 15th, 2009

By BOB OTTO / Writer & Photographer

REDLANDS, CA – Summit Sky Hawks football coach, Tony Barile, has lots of good memories of Redlands High School. He graduated from the school in 1989. He attended his 20th year class reunion this summer. And he launched his coaching career at Redlands as the Terriers freshman football coach.

Lots of good memories for sure. But there’s one memory that he would rather erase. A heart wrenching, 16-14, loss on a Shaun McClain 20-yard field goal with 12 seconds left in the game that evened Redlands record at 1-1, while Summit slips to 0-2.

“These are good kids,” said Barile of his team, “but we are not doing the little things right and we don’t deserve to win.”

The game was marred by yellow flags flying from the first through the fourth quarters for a combined 27 penalties. But yet Summit had victory within its grasp with less than four minutes to play. Summit held a14-13 lead and had Redlands pinned down on its own 31-yard line facing a third down and 11.

But Redlands quarterback Joseph Hernandez connected on a high and deep pass down the left sidelines to wide receiver Dashawn Iverson at the Summit 25. Five running plays powered by fullback Cameron Villalobos put the ball at the one-yard line where McClain drilled the game-winning field goal through the uprights for the win.

Both teams started sluggish in a scoreless first quarter and were unable to move the ball with any consistency. And when they did, the play was often called back due to off sides, holding, delay of game, and pass interference penalties.

But in the second quarter both teams started to come untracked.

Redlands scored first on a 2-yard plunge up the middle by Hernandez to take a 6-0 lead after the point after failed. But Summit answered on its third possession of the second quarter, aided by a high snap that sailed over the head of Hernandez. After a scramble for the ball, Summit’s Frank Torres recovered it at the Redlands two -yard line.

Montigo Alford took the ensuing hand off and raced up the middle to tie the game at 6-6 at halftime.

In the third quarter, Redlands took a 13-6 lead on 42-yard touchdown pass from Hernandez to Iverson, but back came Summit in the fourth. With 5:39 remaining Montigo Alfred took a handoff at Summit’s own 20-yard line, and sprinted through the Redlands defense before being hauled down at the Terriers 10.

Two plays later, Perris Scoggins caught a pass over the middle from quarterback, Josh Owes, to pull Summit within 12-13. Summit decided to forego extra point attempt, by sending Alford racing up the middle for the two-point conversion and the lead.

And with 4:26 remaining, victory appeared within in reach. But it was not to be. And for the second consecutive week, victory has slipped from Summit’s grasp in the closing minutes. Last Friday the Sky Hawks led the Etiwanda Eagles with three minutes remaining, only to see the Eagles score on a 40-yard touchdown pass to come away the win.

“This is a game of inches,” Barile said. “You must do the little things right all the time, but we’re not doing what we need to do, and (that includes) us as a coaching staff.”

Summit will take on cross-town rival, the Fontana Steelers, on Friday at A.B. Miller High School. Game time 7 p.m.

Bob Otto

Bookmark and Share

Leave a Comment